He played college football as a quarterback at the University of Miami where he was backup to Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly. He then went on to become offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach under legendary head coach Bobby Bowden at Florida State University for 14 years. He has served 15 years as head coach of the University of Georgia Bulldogs. He was named SEC Coach of the Year twice in 2002 and 2005, he and his team have won 2 SEC championships in those same years and 5 SEC Eastern Divisions in 2002, 2003, 2005, 2011, and 2012.
He shared his testimony on CBN. He recalls in college, “Once my dreams of becoming this great quarterback went in the tank. I went in the tank and did all kinds of things I shouldn’t have done. One summer, I had a roommate come in who was a little bit on the wild side too. He was like that until that summer he had recently gotten saved. He just spent some time talking to me about what had happened to him. It was just kind of me and him and his Bible, and he was planting some really good seeds….I was thinking I had to be perfect to become a Christian. I was thinking if I turned my life over to God, He may send me on a mission trip somewhere and not be this great quarterback I wanted to be.”
Describing an encounter with Bobby Bowden in 1986 after an FSU player was shot and killed and Coach Bowden called members of the team for a meeting. He said, “We went to a big room where they always sit and every boy sits in a certain seat, and so all those boys were there, and that one seat was empty. And he pointed to Pablo’s seat. He [Coach Bowden] said, ‘Pablo used to sit right there, and now he’s gone.’ He [Bowden] said, ‘Men, if that was you last night, do you know where you would spend eternity?’ Well, I’m listening in the back and I’m thinking of where I might spend eternity, and I didn’t really like the answer. The next day, I went to see him. I said, ‘Coach I don’t know the answer to that either.’ So he had a Bible there, and we went through the Bible about the plan of salvation. I prayed to receive Christ that morning in his office. And it changed my life. After I accepted Christ, I began to think more about others. I began to think more about Christ and serving Him. And it just changed my way of thinking. You know, the peace that my roommate had back in college that attracted me, began to enter my life and then my goal from that point forward was just to live a life pleasing to God.”
He continues, “Jesus means salvation. Jesus means everlasting life with God. If you know there’s a Power that created you that’s much greater than you, that’s never-ending, you know you can tap into that resource that gives you peace and gives you hope instead of despair.”
His name is Mark Richt.
This is the “Chief of Sinners,” Daniel Whyte III, president of Gospel Light Society International, reminding you of what the Bible says, that “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners” like you and me. Just as Derek Fisher gave his life to Christ, may I encourage you to do the same. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” In fact, I am the chief of sinners, so don’t think that you’re alone.
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
Remember, friend, Believe by faith. Share the faith. and Keep the faith!